VTC International Development Office

Living in Hong Kong
  • Emergencies
  • Useful Numbers
  • Pre-arrival Information
  • On-arrival Inforamtion
  • Brief Introduction of Hong Kong
  • Housing and Utilities
  • Banking Services
  • Hospitals & Clinics
  • Transport
  • Shopping in Hong Kong
  • Dining in Hong Kong
  • Emergency and/or Accident Handling
  • Travelling, Lesure and Cultural Facities
  • Cantonese: you must know!

Emergency numbers

In case of emergency, you can contact the local police, ambulance service, fire department and other emergency services by calling 999.


Lost passport

If you lose your passport, make a 'lost report' at the nearest police station (call Police Hotline (852) 2527 7177 for locations). Then contact your consulate to have your passport replaced.


Consular Posts and Officially Recognised Representatives 

There are over 100 Consulates-General, Consulates and Officially Recognised Bodies in Hong Kong. Contact information can be found here: http://www.protocol.gov.hk/eng/consular/index.html

Lost or stolen wallet

If your wallet or valuables are lost or stolen, please notify the hotel or management office of your apartment (block) immediately and report to police. Keep a separate record of your credit card number(s) and report the loss to your card issuer(s) as quickly as possible. Most issuers have toll-free numbers and 24-hour service to deal with such emergencies.

Emergency Services (Police, Fire, Ambulance) 999
Police Hotline 2527 7177
Hong Kong Tourism Board Visitor Hotline 2508 1234
Consumer Council 2929 2222
Travel Industry Council of Hong Kong 2807 1199
Hong Kong International Airport 2181 8888
Hong Kong Hotels Association Hotel Reservation Hotline 2383 8380 / 2769 8822
Customs and Excise Department Enquiry Hotline 2815 7711
Hong Kong Immigration Department 2824 6111
Hong Kong Post 2921 2222
Department of Health 2961 8989 / 2961 8991
Weather (Hong Kong Observatory) 1878 200 
Directory Enquiries (Cantonese)1083;(English)1081;(Mandarian)1088
International Services 10010
International Enquiries Service
(Country Codes & World Time Inquiries)
Reminder:Dial +852 to call a Hong Kong number from overseas. There are no regional codes.

1、Immigration Regulations


In general, unless a person has the right of abode or right to land in the Hong Kong Special Administration Region (HKSAR), he/she requires a visa/entry permit to study in the HKSAR*. An applicant should meet normal immigration requirements (such as holding a valid travel document with adequate returnability to his/her country of residence or citizenship; be of clear criminal record and raise security or criminal concerns to the HKSAR; have no likelihood of becoming a burden on the HKSAR, etc.)

Per Regulations of the Immigration Department, a person  landing in Hong Kong as a visitor shall not become a student at a school, university or other educational institution.
A successful applicant entering the HKSAR as a student shall be subject to the following conditions of stay that:
  1. he/she shall become a student only at a specified school, university or other educational institution and undertake such course of study as may be approved by the Director of Immigration; and
  2. he/she shall not:
    1. take up any employment, whether paid or unpaid; or
    2. establish or join in any business.

For students studying a Degree programme, according the rules and regulations issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department, “Non-local students of full-time, locally accredited programmes at degree level or above whose study period is not less than one academic year may take up internship subject to the relevant conditions

Immigration Department hotline: (852) 2824 6111. Email enquiry: enquiry@immd.gov.hk . Details please see Immigration Department of Hong Kong
Sample of visa/entry permit
For Taiwan Students Only
After entering Hong Kong on strength of the single entry permit, Taiwan students may apply for a “Multiple Entry Permit” (MEP) and transfer of endorsement onto the MEP to facilitate the future travel to and from Hong Kong. Details please see here.

Reminder: Visa activation
Note: A person who enters Hong Kong as a visitor shall not become a student at a school, university or other educational institution. If you enter Hong Kong as a visitor and collect your visa/entry permit for study in our campus, you must leave Hong Kong and enter Hong Kong again for the activation of visa/entry permit for study. If you fall in this category, you may enter Macao or Mainland China and return to Hong Kong for the above mentioned activation.Sample of arrival endorsement stamp are listed as follows:

For more immigration details of getting to Macau and Mainland China please see Travel to Mainland China and Macau of "Travelling,Leisure and Cultural Facilities"
Details please see Immigration Department of Hong Kong

2、 Off-campus Accommodation

Detailed instructions of off-campus accommodation are available at “Housing and Utilities”.
We encourage international students to set up an online forum for sharing of rental information and life experience in Hong Kong, such as online group of MSN, Facebook, twitter, etc.


3、 Living Cost in Hong Kong

(Information extracted from: here)
In a bustling metropolis such as Hong Kong, life doesn't come cheap. Rent, food, clothing, and other necessities are on par with the lives of New York or London. However, those of modest means needn't fret; transportation, telecommunications, and public healthcare cost significantly less than in Europe or North America. Furthermore, student discounts are available for essentials, such as Octopus cards*. Take advantage of the student discounts offered by museums, transport companies, restaurants, and even some retail outlets. Just show your student ID.
* Details please see Transportation of "On-arrival information"

How much do things cost in Hong Kong? Check out these prices, for your reference.
Items HK dollars US dollars
A McDonald's Value Meal $24-35 $3.08-4.50
A Snickers Bar, from 7-11 $7.00 $0.90
A set meal (main dish, rice, and drink) at an average local café $60 $7.70
Beer at a local pub, whatever's on tap $25 $3.21
Beer at a swanky club the sky's the limit  
An MTR trip from Hong Kong Design Institute to Central (the nearest MTR station from Pok Fu Lam student hostel), with student Octopus card $6.9 $0.88
Crossing the harbor from Central to Tsim Sha Tsui on Star Ferry $2.20-$3.70 $0.29-$0.48

The following monthly living cost is for your reference only:
Accommodation rental cost (depending on the size, location and type) HK$4,000 - 5,000/person
Canteen in campus:e.g. breakfast and lunch
HK$ 19-26 / set
Transport HK$600
Other living cost HK$800
Total cost HK$8,900 – 9,900

Before you come to Hong Kong, you need to transfer money for use if you do not have a bank account in Hong Kong. You may transfer money to Hong Kong in your name through an overseas bank one or two weeks before your departure; or you can carry travellers cheques or bank draft for deposit in Hong Kong. Additionally, it is advisable to bring along 10,000 – 20,000 Hong Kong Dollars in cash for your first month living cost in Hong Kong, including fees of accommodation; furniture and textbooks expenditure.



It is advisable to check the following 7-day weather forecast before your departure for preparing fitting clothes. Hong Kong Observatory: In summer, most indoor areas in Hong Kong are air-conditioned. However, generally no central heating systems are provided, including the campus and residence.

Adverse Weather Notice 
Under some adverse weather conditions, like No. 8 tropical cyclones, all activities including work, school and outdoor activities should cease.Tropical cyclones normally occur during the months of May to November, and are particularly prevalent during September.If your planned departure date may encounter or is going to encounter the above mentioned adverse weather, the webpage of VTC will update the latest enrolment arrangement. You should pay close attention to that and re-arrange your itinerary when necessary.
VTC Adverse Weather Notice

5、Pre-departure Checklist
  • Valid travel document (such as passport) – ensure there is at least 6-month from the date of expiry
  • Visa / entry permit issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department – remember to affix the Visa/permit label onto your travel document
  • The original copy of your academic qualification proof (will proceed registration after the document verified)
  • Copy of your insurance policy (if applicable)
  • Adequate cash for first month living cost; travellers cheque and credit cards
  • Mobile phone (with battery and charger)
  • Medications for your personal need (it is advisable to get a medical check before leaving your home country/region to ensure you are in good health to travel)
  • Fitting clothes
  • Daily necessities – please note that personal accessories and linens are not provided by VTC Hall of Residence. You may purchase in Hong Kong. There is a shopping arcade nearby the Hall.
  • Notebook computer (if applicable) – electrical voltage in Hong Kong is 220V, using three-pin rectangular socket. Please bring an adapter or power transformer.
  • Stationery and tools for study (if applicable)
  • Arrival Booklet
  • International Students Survival Kit

1、Expected Arrival Date

We suggest you  come to Hong Kong 2 weeks  before the commencement date. During that period you can arrange your accommodation, apply for a Hong Kong identity card, attend orientation programs and become acquainted with your new surroundings.


2、Arrival Procedures

Cross Border Travel
Details of Cross Boundary Travel please see here.
If you come to Hong Kong by air, please pick up your bags in Baggage Reclaim Hall. Please contact your airline for lost or damaged baggage. Airport enquiries: (+852) 2181 8888.
Other services provided in the Airport:
  • Money exchange, banking services and ATM (it is suggested to carry some cash for emergency needs)
  • Personal care and pharmaceutical
  • Convenience store (where you can buy local SIM cards. You should buy a local SIM card immediately on arrival so that Institute and your families can contact you.)

You can inform your families of your safe arrival in Hong Kong. You can contact them by telephone, cell phone/mobile or internet. Details please see here.

(Below information is extracted from: Hong Kong International Airport)
1、Proceed to the Immigration Hall, show valid passport; a completed arrival card and Health Declaration form
2、Proceed to Customs and Excise control after reclaiming your bags. Use the red channel if you have items to declare, if not, use the green channel. *

* Customs and Excise Department implements the "Red & Green Channel System" at all entry points. Incoming passengers are advised to choose the appropriate channels for Customs clearance with the following signs being posted:
Passengers should proceed to this channel upon their arrival and make a declaration to the Customs officers if they carry:
  • any prohibited / controlled items; and / or
  • any dutiable commodities not entitled to or exceeding their exempted quantities.
Passengers should enter this channel upon their arrival if they:
  • do not have any dutiable goods or prohibited / controlled items;
  • have dutiable goods in compliance with the exempted quantities.

The commonly found prohibited / controlled items are dangerous drugs, psychotropic substances, controlled chemicals, antibiotics, arms, ammunition, fireworks, strategic commodities, rough diamonds, animals, plants, endangered species, telecommunication equipment, game, meat and poultry. Passengers are liable to prosecution if these items are brought into / out of HKSAR without a valid license or permit. These items will also be seized and confiscated.
Customs enquiry hotline (852) 2815 7711. Details please visit Customs and Excise Department

Upon arrival in Hong Kong, automatic sensors will take your temperature at the Hong Kong International Airport and boundary control points, and if it is high, you will be required to have a quick health check. Vaccination certificates are usually not required. Check with your local carriers because requirements may change.



THEi, part of IVE campuses and HKDI location for your reference only:
The Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi)
133 Shing Tai Road, Chai Wan, Hong Kong
20A Tsing Yi Road, Tsing Yi Island, New Territories, Hong Kong
The Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi) 
(English Version Only)
Hong Kong Design Institute (HKDI)
3 King Ling Road, Tseung Kwan O., New Territories, Hong Kong
Adjacent to Tiu Keng Leng MTR station Exit A
Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (IVE) Chai Wan campus
30 Shing Tai Road, Chai Wan, Hong Kong
Chai Wan campus
Located near Heng Fa Chuen MTR station
Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (IVE) Haking Wong campus
702 Lai Chi Kok Road, Cheung Sha Wan, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Haking Wong campus
Located near Cheung Sha Wan MTR Station Exit B
Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (IVE) Kwun Tong campus
25 Hiu Ming Street, Kwun Tong, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Kwun Tong campus
Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (IVE) Lee Wai Lee campus
3 King Ling Road, Tseung Kwan O., New Territories, Hong Kong
Lee Wai Lee campus
Adjacent to Tiu Keng Leng MTR station Exit A
Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (IVE) Morrison Hill campus
6 Oi Kwan Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Morrison Hill campus
Located near Wan Chai MTR Station Exit A3
Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (IVE) Sha Tin campus
21 Yuen Wo Road, Sha Tin, New Territories, Hong Kong
Sha Tin campus
Located near Fo Tan MTR Station Exit A3
Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (IVE) Tsing Yi campus
20 Tsing Yi Road, Tsing Yi Island, New Territories, Hong Kong
Tsing Yi campus
Shuttle Bus Service /
Minbus Route No.88C

You can check the accurate location of other IVE campus via here.

You can get to the IVE/HKDI campuses by:
MTR (railway service) logo of MTR
With connection to other MTR Lines, all of the territory is within reach by Airport Express. Airport Express service hours: 5:50am to 1:15am. You can pick up the MTR system map in Hong Kong airport. MTR Hotline: 2881 8888. More details please see here.

You can use the Octopus Card* for travelling by MTR.
* The Octopus card is a stored value electronic card widely used in Hong Kong for public transport, purchases in convenience stores, fast food shops, supermarkets, cake shops and vending machines, etc. You simply place the Octopus card over a reader, and the correct amount is deducted automatically from the stored value. The card is valid for three years after value has been added. Octopus Cards are available for sale at any Customer Service Centre of MTR.
Eligible full-time students studying in Hong Kong may apply for a Personalized Octopus Card with “ Student Status” to enjoy concessionary fares on the MTR network. Details please see MTR website.
(Information extracted from: http://www.octopus.com.hk/get-your-octopus/where-can-i-use-it/en/index.html)

Public Bus
Hong Kong International Airport is well served by public bus routes (Cityflyer Routes). For the following campuses, you may go there by bus:
IVE Lee Wai Lee and HKDI
Bus E22A: bus stop - Tiu Keng Leng Station, King Ling Road
Fare: $24
Bus Tips
(Information extracted from “Easy Access Buses” of The Kowloon Motor Bus Co. (1933) Ltd.)
Bus Stopping pushes
Handrails with "STOP" buttons are available for passengers to push, indicating to the driver that they'd like to alight at the next stop. When pushed, a red light will be turned on to indicate this and the driver will pull in at the next stop. The name of all stops, including the next one, are displayed throughout the journey in  Chinese and English and there are also useful apps that provide detailed information.
Large front destination display with
route numbers at the side and rear of buses.

Bus stopping indicator.  
Details of Cityflyer Routes please see here.    
(Below information is extracted from: http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/index.html )

Details of Airport bus routes please see here.

More details, please visit “Hong Kong eTranspot” provided by Transport Department

Taxis in Hong Kong are colour-coded according to their operating areas.
  • Urban taxis (Red) serve all destinations throughout Hong Kong including the airport except Tung Chung Road and roads in south Lantau.
  • New Territories (N.T.) taxis (Green) serve only the New Territories and specific roads in Lantau.
  • Lantau taxis (Blue) serve all destinations in Lantau and the airport.

NOTE : Baggage charge may be levied on every piece of baggage that is carried inside the baggage compartment and the passenger compartment.

Approximate fare from the Airport to the following campuses:
Hong Kong Island Kowloon
Destination Urban Taxi Destination Urban Taxi
IVE (Chai Wan) $335 IVE (Haking Wong) $215
New Territories
Destination Urban Taxi NT Taxi Destination Urban Taxi NT Taxi
IVE (Tsing Yi) $180 $170 IVE (Lee Wai Lee) & HKDI $310 N/A

4、Enrolment & Student Identity Card

You need to finish your enrolment procedures in your study campus. You will receive the details by email or through the homepage of International Development Office.

Student Card
Student card is issued free-of-charge to new student normally during class commencement week. The card should be carried for access to campus premises/facilities (e.g. Learning Resources Centre) and for taking class attendance.

Octopus Card - Student Travel Scheme
Full time day course students aged 25 or below are eligible to apply for a Personalized Octopus card with "Student Status" to enjoy concessionary fares on the MTR network*, including Light Rail. The concessionary fare is about 50% of the normal adult fare.
* The offer is not applicable on the Airport Express, MTR Feeder Bus and journeys to or from Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau stations.
More details please visit MTR webpage.

Adverse Weather Notice Enrolment Arrangement
The day before you come to Hong Kong for enrolment, you should check the weather forecast on the Hong Kong Observatory

Under some adverse weather conditions, like No. 8 tropical cyclones, all activities including work, school and outdoor activities should cease. 
Tropical cyclones normally occur during the months of May to November, and are particularly prevalent during September. If the enrolment dates may encounter or are going to encounter the above mentioned adverse weather, the webpage of VTC will update the latest enrolment arrangement. You should pay close attention to that and re-arrange your itinerary when necessary. For VTC Adverse Weather Notice, please visit here


5、 Hong Kong Identity Card

Under the Registration of Persons Ordinance, if you are a new arrival aged 11 or over and have been permitted to stay in Hong Kong for more than 180 days, you must register for an identity card within 30 days of arrival at any Registration of Persons Office. No fee is payable when you firstly register for an identity card. You can make an appointment booking through the 24-hour telephone appointment booking hotline 2598 0888 or book online.
Location of Registration of Persons Offices.

When you register for an adult identity card, you must produce your valid travel document, passport, visa/entry permit showing your residential status in Hong Kong.You should apply for Hong Kong identity card as soon as possible. Please note that the processing time for an identity card is usually 10 working days (excluding Saturdays and general holidays).
You must take the Hong Kong Identity Card with you whenever and wherever. In Hong Kong, the police may ask you to show proof of identity at any time. Details of Identity Card application, please visit here.


6、 Opening Bank Account

Students are advised to open a local bank account for convenient financial services. You may choose a local bank that has branches in your  country/region of origin for convenient services. Generally, the bank may request student card, passport, visa/entry permit and proof of residence for account opening. For details please enquire with the bank near your campus.
For more details please see “Banking Services”.


7、Safety Tips

Common Con Tricks 
Hong Kong has a very good reputation of being a safe city, however you could be targeted by either a criminal gang or fraudster carrying out any one of the below listed deceptions. The scams tend to prey upon the victim's greed, vanity and/or ignorance. The list is not comprehensive, but it does set out common street deceptions currently being committed. Details please see here.

Clubbing and Partying
Clubbing and partying may be common social activities during your study period. You may have chances to access alcohol and drugs. We suggest you stay away from the use and abuse of alcohol and drugs for your own protection. Police Drug Reporting Hotline: 2527 1234.

Smoking Restrictions
  Smoking is prohibited in all indoor public places, including restaurants, karaokes, malls and bars in Hong Kong. The smoking ban is also implemented on public transport carriers, public transport facilities and in both indoor and outdoor areas of some premises such as public beaches and swimming pools, escalators and the Hong Kong Wetland Park. No person shall smoke or carry a lighted cigarette; cigar or pipe in designated no smoking areas, or else will be liable to a fixed penalty of HK$1,500.
All VTC sites (indoor and outdoor areas) are designated as no-smoking areas.

Hong Kong has strict laws to maintain environmental hygiene, including fixed penalty fines of HK$1,500 for littering or spitting.

Tap water is soft in character and conforms to the guidelines for drinking-water quality recommended by the World Health Organisation. However, when water is delivered to consumers’ taps via inside plumbing, the quality of water may be affected. We suggest you  drink boiled water instead of tap water directly. Mineral water including major imported brands is readily available from supermarkets and convenience stores.

Hong Kong is a safe city. There are strict firearms controls in Hong Kong. Illegal possession of a firearm is a serious offence. Hong Kong’s streets are safe for anyone to walk on, day or night. Police maintain regular foot patrols in the urban and suburban areas.
1、About Hong Kong
Hong Kong became a Special Administration Region (HKSAR) of the People’s Republic of China on July 1, 1997, after a century and a half of British colonial administration. Under the “one country, two systems” policy and constitutional documents, the Basic Law, Hong Kong’s existing economic, legal and social systems will be maintained for 50 years. The HKSAR enjoys a high degree of autonomy except in defence and foreign affairs.

Where is Hong Kong?
Hong Kong is suited in the south-eastern coast of China. With a total area of 1104 square kilometers, the territory comprises Hong Kong Island, Kowloon Peninsula, and the New Territories, which is also including 262 outlying islands.
18 districts of Hong Kong: (Information extracted from here )

The 18 districts of Hong Kong have their own built heritage, historical development and lifestyle. Want to learn more about the 18 districts of Hong Kong. A digital map of Hong Kong is ready for your coming adventure.

Organization Chart of the Government of HKSAR
Details of organization chart of the Government of HKSAR
Other scope of governance, please see the website of GovHK

What is the population size in Hong Kong? 
Hong Kong’s population was slightly over 7 million in 2009. The three largest foreign groups were from Indonesia, the Philippines and Thailand.

The official languages of Hong Kong are Chinese and English. English is widely used within the Government and also by the legal, professional and business sectors. Nowadays, well-educated peoples in Hong Kong are competent trilingual professions who can speak English, Cantonese and Putonghua.

Hong Kong’s climate is sub-tropical, tending towards temperate for nearly half of the year. Temperatures may drop below 10 degrees Celsius in winter (January to March) and often exceed 31 degrees Celsius in summer (July to September). The rainy season is between April and September, which may bring about very humid weather.

Want to know more about the climate in Hong Kong? Come to visit Hong Kong Observatory.
2、Severe Weather in Hong Kong
(Information in this section extracted from: http://www.weather.gov.hk/cis/climahk_e.htm)
Severe weather phenomena that can affect Hong Kong include tropical cyclones, strong winter monsoon winds, and thunderstorms with associated squalls that are most frequent from April to September. Waterspouts and hailstorms occur infrequently, while snow and tornadoes are rare.
The legal tender is the Hong Kong dollar (HK$), which is linked to the US dollar at a rate of about 7.80 HKD to 1 USD, although exchange rates may fluctuate slightly. Interestingly, Hong Kong banknotes are issued by three banks (HSBC, Standard Chartered Bank and Bank of China), and vary in design and colour for each denomination. Click here for details.
As an international city, Hong Kong has world-class hospitals providing outstanding care. Visitors using Accident and Emergency services in Hong Kong public hospitals are charged a set fee of HK$1,230 per attendance, but will always be treated even if they cannot pay immediately. 
Details please see "Hospitals & Clinics"
Telecommunications in Hong Kong are efficient and sophisticated. Local private landline calls are free and cost only HK$1 for five minutes from public telephones. Hotels usually make a charge. International Direct Dial (IDD) service to most countries and regions of the world is available at most of the hotels in Hong Kong.

Mobile / Cell phone
Using your mobile phone in Hong Kong is convenient as most of the wireless systems used around the world – like LTE, GSM, CDMA and WCDMA – operate in Hong Kong.You can buy local SIM cards when you arrive in Hong Kong, at the airport or in a town Convenience Store.

Mobile Services
In Hong Kong, there are 5 mobile network service operators providing mobile services. Details as below:
International Direct Dialing (IDD) service is available to over 230 countries and more than 2,200 cities in Mainland China. To make an international call in Hong Kong, you can use the service in IDD 001, 009, 0060, 0080, 0088, 1666, etc. Details please see the websites of telecom companies.

More details please see Office of the Communication Authority in Hong Kong.

Wi-Fi facilities are available in all 18 districts of Hong Kong’s various government premises, including public libraries, public enquiry service centres, sports centres, cultural and recreational centres, cooked food markets and cooked food centres, job centres, community halls, major parks, government buildings and offices. You can search the detailed locations here.
6、 Electricity
The standard electrical voltage in HK is 220 volts AC, 50HZ. You will need a transformer for any appliance or electrical equipment. The majority of electrical outlets in Hong Kong take a three-pronged UK-type plug. You can buy an inexpensive adaptor for your equipment when you arrive in Hong Kong.
7、 Time Zone
GMT +8
8、International Calling Code
Dial +852 to call a Hong Kong number from overseas. There are no regional codes.
9、General Holidays
General holidays in Hong Kong include:
  • The first day of January
  • The second day of Lunar New Year
  • The third day of Lunar New Year
  • The fourth day of Lunar New Year
  • Good Friday
  • The day following Good Friday
  • Easter Monday
  • Ching Ming Festival
  • Labour Day
  • The Birthday of the Buddha
  • Tuen Ng Festival
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day
  • The day following the Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival
  • National Day
  • The day following Chung Yeung Festival
  • Christmas Day
  • The first weekday after Christmas Day

For details, please see here
Hong Kong is a multicultural and secular city with a multiracial population living in harmony. People are free to openly worship according to their own beliefs. There are a large variety of religious groups in Hong Kong, including Buddhism,Taoism, Confucianism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism,Sikhism and Judaism.
The freedom of expression and freedom of the press are fundamental rights enjoyed by people in the HKSAR. Citizens have the freedom or right to peaceful assembly and public processions in Hong Kong. Here you can find the details on how to give notification of holding public meetings or processions in Hong Kong.

The Race Relations Unit (RRU) provides support services to ethnic minorities in Hong Kong. Find out how the RRU works to promote equal opportunities and learn about their services aimed towards the ethnic minorities in Hong Kong.

Currently, ethnic minorities constitute about 5% of Hong Kong’s population. Unfamiliarity with other people’s customs, culture and language may give rise to prejudices and stereotypes against people of other racial groups. At times, these prejudices lead to discrimination, harassment and vilification.If you need any help with race discrimination or related issues, you can contact Equal Opportunities Commission.
12、Legal System
While the People's Republic of China follows a civil law system, Hong Kong's legal system is based on the traditions of its former colonial master (common law), down to the robes and curly white wigs. As in the British system, lawyers are either solicitors (handling paperwork, negotiations, and settlements) or barristers (who can appear in court). The Basic Law functions as Hong Kong's constitution, subject to interpretation by the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress.

Basic Law ensures Hong Kong's autonomy in its executive, legislative, and judicial systems, as well as certain foreign relations. It protects freedom of expression, assembly, and religion, forbids torture and unwarranted searches, seizures, and arrest. Furthermore, Hong Kong is ardently capitalist, in spite of Mainland China's (nominal) adherence to socialism.
Hong Kong's election system is rather complicated, with a small group of electors chosen from various segments of society selecting the Chief Executive. Local district council and S.A.R.-wide Legislative Council elections allow for more direct participation.
IMPORTANT: The information in this section is for your reference ONLY. VTC does not advocate the use of any of the following service-providers.
1. Off-campus Accommodation
Not all non-local students are guaranteed a place in the VTC Student Dormitory. So you have to find an accommodation place prior to your arrival in Hong Kong. Renting an appropriate apartment in Hong Kong may not be easy since the rental price is normally rather expensive and the living space may be quite limited. We strongly suggest you start searching for accommodation as soon as you accept the offer and arrive in Hong Kong at least two weeks before the semester begins in order to look for off-campus accommodation.  We also recommend you to arrange for temporary accommodation before a suitable accommodation is secured.
You can take the information of Hong Kong Tourism Board for reference:
You may also consider The T-hotel of VTC for temporary accommodation, which is the first training hotel operated by students in Hong Kong. Located in the Western hillside of Hong Kong Island, The T-Hotel occupies the entire sixth floor of the VTC Pokfulam Complex. The hotel is in close proximity to key attractions including Ocean Park, Stanley Market and the renowned floating seafood restaurant in Aberdeen. It comprises 30 guest rooms. Advance booking is required.
The T Hotel address: 6th floor, VTC Pokfulam Complex, 145 Pokfulam Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
The T-hotel online booking: click here
Off-campus accommodation is a very important part of your overseas study.
We strongly suggest you read the following rental procedures and related ordinance in this section carefully before you start searching for flats. Make sure you are ready for renting an apartment. 
2. Searching for Accommodation to Rent
(Information below is extracted from: http://www.eaa.org.hk/)

Brief Rental Procedures*

*Details please see here.

Major local property agents list:
Centaline Property
Midland Realty
Centry 21
Hong Kong Property
Ricacorp Properties

If you rent the accommodation through a property agent, you need to pay a commission fee normally around 50% of the monthly rental, i.e. $5,000 for a flat at a monthly rental of $10,000. Please note the commission fee should not be paid until the tenancy agreement is properly signed. Besides this, you will not be required to pay any service fees.

About appointing a property agent:
Anyone who searches for a leasing apartment through a licensed property agency is required to sign the “Estate Agency Agreement for Leasing of Residential Properties in Hong Kong” after viewing the apartment. Some information you should note before signing the agreement:
  • This agreement usually states a period of 3 months, during which the tenant cannot sign a contract for the apartment they are viewing via a different agent; otherwise the tenant may need to pay double commission.
  • If the agent notices that the tenant has signed a contract for the same apartment via other agents, that agent has the rights to recover the arrear of the commission from the tenant in 6 years.

The tenant should ask the property agent to provide copies of all documents he/she signed with the agent. After making any payment, the tenant should immediately request a receipt as confirmation from the property agent. If the deal is called off, the tenant should ask the preperty agent to immediately return any money held..

For details, please see here.

You may also try to search property owner or sub-lease information through the following websites: 
Easy Roommate
3. Signing for Tenancy Agreement
You must read “Notes on Signing a Tenancy Agreement” carefully before you formally sign any agreements with the property agents or landlord.

A tenancy agreement has to be signed between the landlord and the tenant to protect each other’s interests and avoid, as far as possible, future disputes. Besides details on the amount of rent and deposit, the duration of the tenancy and whether furniture and electrical appliances are provided by the landlord, the tenancy agreement should set out what you and the landlord have agreed to be your respective rights and duties. If any damage is found, the tenant should formally notify the landlord, or ask the landlord to repair the damage before handing over the property. (Please refer to common provisions in a tenancy agreement.)

If you want to share accommodation with others, generally the landlord may want you to choose one representative to sign the agreement and take full responsibility by being the tenant. We suggest you should not assume sole liability. All persons living there should sign the agreement together to share the responsibility (even if the landlord is unwilling to do so). For future convenience, we also suggest the agreement should clearly express that the landlord permit sub-let or re-let of the apartment.
The tenant and landlord are generally free to agree on the terms of the tenancy. In Hong Kong, the terms for the lease are usually a period of 2 years. The first year is commonly named as Fixed Term Tenancy, while the second year is Break Clause.
Fixed Term Tenancy means the tenant cannot terminate the lease before the expiry date of tenancy; otherwise the tenant should pay the remaining rent to the landlord. For example, the tenant has to live in the apartment at least for 1 year if the tenancy states that the Fixed Term Tenancy is for 1 year.
The tenant still has to pay the remaining 6-month rent even the tenant has lived in the apartment for 6 months and moved out afterwards.
Break Clause means both tenant and landlord can terminate the lease according to the period of notice stated in the agreement. For instance, if the period of notice for the termination of the lease and period for the Break Clause is 1 month, the tenant can terminate the lease and return the apartment to the landlord if the tenant informs the landlord by written notice 1 month before the expected moving out date. 
You must read the tenancy agreement carefully before you sign it and check the utilities provided are in good conditions, such as gas, electricity and water supplies. Payments like rates, management fee and utilities, could be shouldered by either the landlord or the tenant. You must ensure the tenancy agreement has explicitly stated what payments fall on which party. 

After duly signed by the landlord and the tenant, the contract will become a legal document and is binding on the signatories. Remember to keep a copy.
4. Seeking & Selecting Flatmates
Many non-local students will choose to share a room or apartment with others. For a 600-700 sq ft 3-bedroom flat, you may consider to have around 3-5 flatmates. The tenancy agreement should clearly state whether the landlord will allow the tenant to sub-let or re-let the rental property.
You may post an online notice to invite flatmates/ roommates once you find a suitable apartment. You may show some relevant information, such as gender, number of flatmates preferred, rental price and location of the apartment. However, you must be aware of the risk of revealing your personal information on the internet, such as mobile phone number and email address.
Living with roommates who you are not familiar with can be a real challenge. You may be quite frustrated if your roommates are not considerate or always making noises. Therefore, it’s best to discuss with your potential roommates beforehand and agree on some ground rules early. It will help your roommates and you to address problems as soon as they arise.

Arguments may occur because of personal lifestyle. For example, “I like sleeping with the lights on, but my roommates need total darkness”. We strongly suggest you and your roommates should have a clear consensus about the following items, which may help reduce problems from arising later.
  1. Handling payment of bills: how to share rental costs including utilities cost?
  2. Visitors of the opposite sex: can he/she stay overnight?
  3. Handling possible long-term visits of relatives and friends: one day; one week, even one month! If I feel that my roommate’s visitor has stayed too long, what should I do?
  4. Personal hygiene: for example, how often should the living room be cleaned, every day or once a week? Do you need cleaning service?
  5. Make a household chore list: dusting, washing dishes, taking out the trash, all the housekeeping tasks must be put on a chore list, and then you can agree with your roommates on the distributions of the chores.
  6. Budget for buying furniture and household appliances: try to find a roommate whose financial background is similar to you. If he/she wants to buy a TV but you don’t need those “luxuries”, it’s hard to keep a harmonious relationship.
  7. Study and entertainment time: what time of the day do you prefer to study and how much noise can you tolerate if your roommate likes parties?
  8. Smoking and drinking: are you a smoker? How do you feel about drinking alcohol in the apartment?
  9. Quiet time: what time do you usually go to bed?
  10. Pets: are pets allowed in the apartment? If yes, how many pets are acceptable?
You are strongly advised to set ground rules with your roommate before making any commitments.
5. Housing Expenses
Except the rental expenses, some other related expenses may also be included. Details are as below:
  1. Telephone and utilities charges (utility charges are normally borne by tenants)
  2. Commission for the agent: if you rent the accommodation through a property agent, you need to pay a commission fee normally around 50% of the monthly rental.
  3. Deposit: the deposit will be returned to tenant when the tenancy is over and all costs duly settled. The amount of the deposit is normally equal to one to three months’ rent.
  4. Stamp duties: the fee is collected by the Hong Kong government. The cost is shared equally by the landlord and tenant, and is calculated according to the rent level. For example, for an apartment of a monthly rental of $10,000, the stamp duty paid by the tenant is about $300.
  5. Miscellaneous expenses: most of the rental housing is equipped with kitchen appliances but may not be furnished completely. You may need to purchase some furniture and other household items.
  Common furniture shops in Hong Kong including:
  1. IKEA
  2. Pricerite (Chinese only)
  3. Jade@Home
  Common household appliance shops in Hong Kong including:
  1. Fortress
  2. Broadway (Chinese only)
  3. Japanese Home Centre

6. After Moving In
If you find any faults or defects in the apartment, including the household facilities, report to the landlord as soon as possible. But remember, you and your roommates should also try to keep the apartment in good order.
The Landlord and Tenant (Consolidation) Ordinance states that if your tenancy agreement does not specify the conditions for paying rent, and of forfeiture if you fail to pay rent, your tenancy will imply a duty to pay the rent on the due date and forfeiture for non-payment within 15 days of that date.
When a landlord intends to sell a property that is let to a tenant, the landlord should make it clear to the property agent, the solicitors and the potential purchaser that the property will be sold subject to a tenancy. The landlord should also notify the tenant about the intended sale and properly deal with the deposit paid by the tenant.
If one of the roommates plans to withdraw from the tenancy agreement before the end of the contract,
you may need to seek someone to replace the withdrawer to complete the remaining contract and obtain consent of the landlord. The withdrawer should pay charges incurred before his/her moving out.
You should try your best to communicate with your roommates with respect, consideration and patience when arguments occur. If you or your roommate is becoming agitated, discuss it later when everyone calms down. Living with others is not easy but if you can effectively manage these conflicts, you can have a healthy and happy living environment.

For more details of tenancy agreement, please see Community Legal Information Centre.

If you need any assistance with rental issues, you can contact Rating and Evaluation Department. For any legal advice and/or assistance, free services are also available from the Duty Lawyer Service.

If you live in off-campus rental accommodation, you should open the utilities accounts as soon as possible. Generally, these utilities accounts include but are not limit to, water supplies, electricity, gas and internet service, etc.

In Hong Kong, the quality of water is very good. However, when water is delivered to consumers' taps via inside plumbing, the quality may be affected. We suggest you drink boiled water.

Water Supplies Department
Customer Telephone Enquiry: 2824 5000 (General, Water Supply, Billing & Consumership)
Head Office: 48th Floor, Immigration Tower,7 Gloucester Road,Wanchai,Hong Kong
More information of water quality in Hong Kong, please see Water Supplies Department.

The standard electrical voltage in Hong Kong is 220V. You may need to buy an adapter or power transformer for some of your equipment.
CLP Power Hong Kong Limited (for Kowloon and New Territories)
Customer Services [CLP INFO-LINE]: 2678 2678 (24-hour)
Emergency Hotline: 2728 8333 (24-hour)
If you need any power services, please see the customer service centers of CLP.
The Hongkong Electric Company, Limited (HK Electric) (for Hong Kong island)
Telephone: (852) 2843 3111
Facsimile: (852) 2810 0506 / 2537 1013
Postal Address: G.P.O. Box 915, Hong Kong
If you need any power services, please see the customer service centre of HK Electric.

The most common type of fuel gas in Hong Kong is Towngas.
24-Hour Customer Service
Emergency Hotline: 2880 6999
Customer Service Hotline: 2880 6988
For more information of Towngas, please see here.

Internet Service Provider (ISP)
There are five major ISPs in Hong Kong.
  1. Hong Kong Broadband Network
  2. Hong Kong Cable TV
  3. Hutchison Global Communications
  4. New World Telecommunications
  5. HKT ("netvigator")

Postal Services
Inland Letter
Weight not exceeding Postage Rates
30gm $2.00
50gm $3.00

More details of postage rates please see here.

Postal Office Locations & Opening Hours 
Details of post office location and opening hours please see here.

Generally, Hong Kong is very safe not only during the day but also at night. However, you should take precautions against pickpockets and refrain from carrying too much cash and valuables, especially in those areas with high population density and mobility, such as Sham Shui Po, Mongkok, Yau Ma Tei, Tsim Sha Tsui and Causeway Bay, etc.

For emergency assistance, please dial 999. For any non-emergency assistance, you can search help from nearby Police Stations. Details please see here.
(Information in this section is extracted from Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
1、 About Banks in Hong Kong
Major banks in Hong Kong:
Bank of China (Hong Kong) Limited
Hang Seng Bank Limited
The Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited
Standard Chartered Bank (HK) Ltd
The Bank of East Asia, Limited.
For information of other banks, please visit the website of Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
2、 Opening a Bank Account and Credit Card
Students are advised to open a local bank account for convenient financial services. You may choose a local bank that has branches in your  country/region of origin for convenient services. Generally, the bank may request student card, passport, visa/entry permit and proof of residence for account opening. For details please enquire the bank near your campus.
Make sure you completely understand the charging mechanism of the type of bank account before you choose it. You may be required to pay for some services items of the bank account which may not be charged in your origin country/region.
If you intend to use your ATM card (issued by a bank in your  country/region fo origin) in Hong Kong, you need to check with your bank beforehand. You may be charged some service fees for overseas transactions.

Credit Card
Most shops in Hong Kong accept major international credit cards like VISA, MasterCard and American Express. However, shops in campus generally only accept cash or Octopus Card. Please note shops in Hong Kong usually do not accept payment by cheque. You may apply for a local credit card if in need.
3、Automated Teller Machines (ATMs)
Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) can be found everywhere in Hong Kong. They provide 24-hour cash withdrawals with your ATM card or credit card. Please remember you MUST NOT disclose the PIN/passwords of your bank account (including electronic and phone banking) and credit cards to other people, including bank staff and police officers.
4、Opening Hours of Banks
Most banks in Hong Kong are open from 9am to 5pm from Mondays to Fridays, and 9am to 1pm on Saturdays. Please note that some banking services are not available an hour before closing. For details please enquire the bank staff.
5、Notes and Coins
(Information in this section is extracted from: http://www.hkma.gov.hk/eng/key-functions/monetary-stability/notes-coins-hong-kong/notes.shtml)
Differing from traditional paper notes, the new ten-dollar note is made of polymer materials.
The Government issues coins of $10, $5, $2, $1, 50 cents, 20 cents and 10 cents.
There are three commercial banks issuing bank notes in Hong Kong, which include The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited, the Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited, and the Bank of China (Hong Kong) Limited. Notes in everyday circulation are $10, $20, $50, $100, $500 and $1,000.

Want to know more about note and coins? Click here.
(Information in this section is extracted from: http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/health/hosp/overview.htm)
1、Overview of the Healthcare System in Hong Kong
For full details of the healthcare system structure and the services provided in Hong Kong please see link above.
Generally, the public health service is much cheaper than private but the waiting list may be very long. It is advisable to seek healthcare through private hospitals and clinics if you hope to be treated in a short time. You need to show your Hong Kong Identity Card for registration when you require health service in hospitals or clinics.
2、Fees and Charges for Healthcare Services
(Information in this section is extracted from: http://www.ha.org.hk/visitor/ha_visitor_index.asp?Content_ID=10045&Lang=ENG&Dimension=100&Parent_ID=10044&Ver=HTML)
There are 3 categories of charges:
  1. Public charges – eligible persons (including holders of visa/entry permit for study)
  2. Public charges –ineligible persons
  3. Private charges
Fees for basic public health services (eligible persons)
Services Fees
Accident & Emergency $180 per attendance
In-patient $120 per day, plus $75 admission fee
General out-patient $50 per attendance
Specialist out-patient care $135for first visit, $80 per visit thereafter, $15 per drug item
Dressing and injection $19 per treatment
Most of the public hospitals provide 24-hour emergency casualty services.
More details of public hospitals please see here.
3、Fees and Charges for Private Healthcare Services
Services Fees
General out-patient $260-400 or more (often exclude the cost of medicine)
Only parts of private hospitals have 24-hour emergency and out-patient services. Patients have to pay extra fees for lab tests, X-ray exam, etc.
List of registered clinics
List of registered private hospitals
4、Chinese Medicine Services
If you need Chinese medicine services, please see here.
Most prescription drugs are available in Hong Kong. Prescriptions issued by doctors outside Hong Kong cannot be used here. If you need to take medication, it is advised to through pharmacies with registered pharmacists, which have a special sign displayed outside the shops. For details please see here.
You should have suitable and adequate insurance covering travel, personal accident, medical expenses (accident and non-accident), hospitalization and emergency evacuation/repatriation throughout the entire period of your study in Hong Kong. We suggest you check with your parents about insurance coverage before you coming to Hong Kong.
Every student admitted will be insured under basic health, accident and repatriation insurance. For details please refer to Relevant Recourses. (Attention please, this is not applicable to Exchange Programme students. Exchange Students have to purchase insurance on their own.) However, you may also purchase additional insurance at your own expenses.
Hong Kong is geographically compact and boasts one of the world's most efficient, safe, affordable and frequent public transport systems. Whether by taxi, ferry, rail, bus or tram, you can get around easily and catch wonderful glimpses of the city along the way.
Getting around Hong Kong and visiting the city's fantastic attractions couldn't be easier with the quick and efficient MTR rail system that covers all major districts in the territory, and includes stops at the boundary with Mainland China (Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau).

All taxis can go to and from the Hong Kong International Airport as well as the Hong Kong Disneyland. Taxis are easily hailed in the street, although they cannot pick up or drop off passengers in restricted areas. You might also opt for the taxi-queue at a hotel or taxi stand.
  • Passengers are required by law to wear a seat belt when available, whether sitting in the front or rear.
  • All taxis are regulated and taxi drivers are required to display their Taxi Driver Identity card on the dashboard.
  • Taxi fare information is listed on the inside of the taxi.
  • Refer to the meter for the exact charge.
  • Always ask for a receipt. This helps you track down lost items or the taxi driver.
  • If you can't read the price, the taxi number or the fine print on the receipt, asks for a hand-written version.

When you encounter any problems with the taxi service, such as possible overcharging, take down the taxi driver's name and license plate number as shown on the Taxi Driver Identity card on the cab's dashboard. Contact the number below to lodge your complaint.
Transport Complaints Unit Hotline (852) 2889 9999
Transport Department Customer Enquiries Hotline (852) 2804 2600
Road Co-op Lost & Found 24 Hours Free Hotline for Lost Property on Taxis Hotline (852) 1872 920
Bus routes cover almost all of Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and the New Territories. Kowloon Motor Bus (KMB), New World First Bus and Citybus (Citybus & NWFB) operate routes to cover Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and the New Territories. New Lantao Bus mainly operates on Lantau Island and Long Win Bus provides bus services to north Lantau and the airport.

Fares are based on distance travelled. Exact change is required. Octopus cards are accepted.

KMB route No. search
Citybus & NWFB route No. search
New Lantao Bus
Long Win Bus
Minibuses are small passenger buses that carry about 16 people. Green minibuses operate on specific routes at fixed prices. Exact payment is required when getting on. Octopus cards are accepted. Red minibuses operate on routes that are not always fixed and passengers can get on and off anywhere along the route except where special prohibitions apply. Pay as you alight. The driver can provide change for small notes.

Once filled, minibuses won't stop until someone asks to get off. Please note that minibuses are best suited for people who can speak some Cantonese and who are familiar with Hong Kong. Passengers are required by law to wear seat belts where available.

Minibus Routes Directory:
With its coastal location and many outlying islands, Hong Kong operates regular ferry routes connecting Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and the Outlying Islands, as well as Macau and neighboring cities in Mainland China.

Star Ferry
Most notable of all ferries is the humble but legendary Star Ferry service between Kowloon and Hong Kong Island from piers in Tsim Sha Tsui and Hung Hom in Kowloon and Central and Wan Chai on the Island. It offers a memorable and scenic boat trip across one of the most-photographed harbours in the world.
Outlying Islands Service
Ferries operating from the Central Ferry Piers on Hong Kong Island provide service to the main outlying islands of Peng Chau, Cheung Chau, Lamma and Lantau, including Discovery Bay. Two types of ferries operate on most routes: standard ferries and the slightly more expensive fast ferries.
Go To Macau and Mainland China
There are fast ferries to and from Macau and destinations along the coast of Mainland China. These services operate from the Hong Kong Macau Ferry Terminal in Sheung Wan on Hong Kong Island and the China Ferry Terminal in Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon.

Route, fare and timetable of the ferry services

For more details on getting to Macau please see here.
5、Trams (locally known as Ding Ding)
These double-decker streetcars have been travelling through Hong Kong's busiest thoroughfares since 1904 and continue to be a great way to get around.Neighborhoods along the way include some of Hong Kong's most colorful: Western district, Wan Chai, Happy Valley, Causeway Bay and North Point. Trams run from early morning until midnight.The flat fare is HK$2.6 and exact change is required. You enter at the back of the tram and pay the exact fare when alighting at the front. Octopus cards are accepted.

With sheer variety of products and brands in all price ranges, Hong Kong is a unique shopping experience. From glitzy malls to funky street markets, and trendy boutiques to traditional Chinese product stores and themed shopping districts, you can find everything here.

1、Street Markets

Want to know which street market best illustrates Hong Kong’s living culture?  Ladies’ Market in Tung Choi Street, Temple Street Night Market, Stanley Market, Jardine’s Crescent or Li Yuen Street East and West? Want to hone your bargaining skills? Find out more here.

2、Where to Shop

The major shopping areas throughout Hong Kong include Sha Tin, Causeway Bay, Mong Kok, Kowloon Tong and Sham Shui Po. For details please see here.

3、Quality Tourism Services Scheme (QTS)

The Scheme is managed by Hong Kong Tourism Board to help visitors find shops that meet high standards. Look for the QTS sign displayed prominently by shops that have qualified for this exclusive recognition.

4、Supermarkets and Wet Markets
Common supermarkets in Hong Kong including:
1. Parknshop
The wet markets are one of the major choices for local peoples’ everyday shopping where price is comparatively lower than supermarkets, but the shopping environment is not as comfortable. They provide a good variety of fresh food and groceries. Every district in Hong Kong has several wet markets.
5、Convenience Stores
Round-the-clock convenience stores offer handy items such as pre-packed meals, sandwiches, drinks, newspapers, magazines, personal care items, etc. You can pay by Octopus and reloading service is also available. Common convenience stores include 7-ELEVEN, Circle K & VanGo.
6、Shopping Tips

(Information in this section extracted from: http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/shopping/shopping-tips.html)

  • Environmental Levy Scheme on Plastic Shopping Bags
    Both chain and large supermarkets, convenience stores, and personal health and beauty product stores are required to charge HK$0.50 for each plastic shopping bag provided to customers.
  • Be aware of parallel imports
    Parallel imports are items brought into Hong Kong by someone other than the official import agent. Be aware that the reason parallel imports are usually cheaper is because they often offer a restricted guarantee or limited after-sale service.
  • Do not purchase pirated or fake goods
    To protect your own interests, please do not purchase pirated or counterfeit goods.
  • Credit card payment
    Most Hong Kong shops accept credit cards. Check the credit card slip before signing it and remember to take your receipt. Credit card companies and/or banks issuing the cards may charge a currency-exchange fee on overseas purchases. Please check with your credit card issuer for further details.
  • Consumer rights
    Consumer Council: +852 2929 2222
    Monday to Friday: 9am – 5:30pm.
    During non-office hours, Saturday, Sunday and public holidays leave a message at the above hotline number and the Consumer Council will contact you on the next working day.

Details please see "What should I do if I was cheated by trader in shopping?" of "Emergency and/or Accident Handling"

(Information in this section is extracted from: http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/dining/musttaste.html )

Hong Kong is truly a gourmet's delight. You can have the luxury of dining in Michelin star restaurants or eating in local tea houses called "Cha Chaan Teng". We have down-home cooking that conveys the warm feeling only comfort food gives. All-time favorites are congee, noodles and rice dishes. There's also Chinese BBQ, dim sum and hot pot.

1、Hong Kong Must Taste
If there is one food you must sample in Hong Kong, it's the seafood. There are four prime seafood locations for waterfront dining – Sai Kung, Lei Yue Mun, and the islands of Lamma and Cheung Chau.
Dim Sum
One of the great culinary traditions in Hong Kong is eating dim sum. These are the tiny (steamed and deep fried) snacks that come around to your table on a trolley or are brought to you in bamboo containers with a lid.Dim sum is particularly popular in large Chinese restaurants and is usually consumed with lots of tea and often with a main dish like fried rice, noodles or vegetables. Dim sum which literally means "touching your heart", is served for lunch and breakfast in most local teahouses as well as restaurants.
Chinese BBQ
With its trademark roasted meats (pork, goose, chicken and duck) hanging invitingly in their front windows, Hong Kong's siu mei (a generic terms for roasted meats) shops are some of the city's most popular eating establishments.One of the favorite dishes on the menu is Chinese BBQ pork (known as char siu in Cantonese), which is loved for its sweet taste and wonderful aroma.
2、Common Fast Food

Fast food can be found everywhere in Hong Kong for its fast living pace. Some common fast food restaurants include:

- McDonald’s
This famous American fast food chain can be found all over Hong Kong, where you will find their staple menu items like Big Mac, Chicken McNuggets, Fillet-O-Fish and Fries along with set rice dishes (at specific times) and twisty pasta breakfasts dishes. Hong Kong is rated number 1 under “fastest earned” on The Economist’s Big Mac Index: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index
Average Spend (Per person): HK$24 - 50
- Cafe de Coral
Cafe de Coral is an established fast food chain brand in Hong Kong.Standard menus range from Western cuisine to traditional Chinese dishes and afternoon tea meals at affordable prices.
Average Spend (Per person): $40-70
- Fairwood
Fairwood Fast Food is a local chain of fast food restaurants with warm orange decor.
Average Spend (Per person): $40-70
- Maxim's MX
Maxim's MX is a fast food shop from the Maxim's Group.They provide free internet access.
Average Spend (Per person): $40-70
3、 Dining Tips

- Dining Search
A very popular local dining search website: Openrice!


- Reservations

Popular restaurants are often busy during lunchtime (1pm – 2pm), at night and on weekends, so it is a good idea to make a reservation.

- Additional Charges
In some restaurants, it is common for waiters to automatically bring tea, condiments and non-ordered snacks that will be charged to your bill. Please check with the waiter about such additional charges before being seated.

- Service Charge
Most restaurants add 10% to the bill. However, some tea cafes do not impose service charge. Please check with the waiter about the charges before being seated.

1、Report to Police
  • For emergency assistance, please dial 999.
  • For other non-emergency assistance, please dial to nearby Police Stations
  • 992 SMS Emergency Hotline Service / Fax Service (for persons with speech and/or hearing impairment; and who have registered via a designated organization)

Emergencies outside Hong Kong are not applicable to report to Hong Kong police.

2、What should I do if I was cheated by trader in shopping?

If the trader fails to address your concern, you are welcome to lodge your complaint with the Consumer Council.

You may choose any of the followings to communicate with Consumer Council:

  1. In writing: write down all the details of the incident and the points of dissatisfaction.
    Specify the claim and, with a copy of related receipts or documents, send to:
    Consumer Council, North Point Consumer Advice Centre, Room 1410 14/F Kodak House II, 39 Healthy Street East, North Point Hong Kong
  2. By Phone: (852) 2929 2222 (Services hours: Monday to Friday 09:00 am - 05:30 pm)
  3. By Fax: (852) 2856 3611
  4. In person: Visit any of the Consumer Advice Centres with a copy of related receipts or documents and lodge your case.
    Office hours: Monday to Friday (09:00 AM to 01:00 PM&02:00 PM to 06:00 PM)
  5. On-line

More information of Consumer Council can be found here.

3、What should I do if my Hong Kong identity card is lost?

If your Hong Kong identity card is lost, destroyed, damaged or defaced, you should report to any Registration of Persons Office and apply for a replacement within 14 days, or within 14 days of your return if it is lost or damaged outside Hong Kong. The damaged or defaced identity card should be surrendered to the registration officer upon the application for replacement of identity card. A fee of HK$335 will be charged for the replacement of an identity card.

For procedures please see Q15 in the following link: http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/hkic/faq_hkic.htm#ric

(Information in this section is extracted from: http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/index.html )

1、Leisure Facilities

Some leisure facilities in Hong Kong are free of charge, such as free outdoor pitches/courts (Hard-surface Soccer Pitches, Basketball, Volleyball, Netball, Gateball, Roller Hockey, Badminton and Tennis Practice Courts). Internet booking is available at the website of Leisure and Cultural Services Department.

2、 Cultural Facilities

The seven major museums in Hong Kong are Hong Kong Museum of Art; Hong Kong Science Museum; Hong Kong Space Museum; Hong Kong Heritage Museum; Hong Kong Museum of History; Hong Kong Museum of Coastal Defense; Dr Sun Yat-sen Museum. Information of other museums can be found here.

A reader who has never applied for a library card can apply for a Hong Kong Public Libraries library card free of charge. The library card issued can be used to borrow a maximum of 6 items of library materials at one time from 66 Public Libraries in Hong Kong. Library locations and opening hours can be found here.

3、Popular Attractions

(Information extracted from: http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/index.html)

Top Picks

On the 100th floor of Hong Kong’s tallest building – the International Commerce Centre (ICC) – you’ll find Sky100. This is the highest indoor observation deck in Hong Kong and offers visitors a stunning 360 degree bird's-eye view of world-famous Victoria Harbour. Address: MTR Kowloon Station Exits C1 or D1, via Elements - Metal Zone 2/F.

Hong Kong Disneyland has seven themed lands: Adventureland, Grizzly Gulch, Mystic Point, Toy Story Land, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland and Main Street U.S.A. There are also two Disney-themed hotels.
Park opening hours: (Everyday) 10:00a.m. – 9:00 p.m.

For more details, please visit Disneyland

Hong Kong plays host to a fascinating array of exciting events ranging from colourful local festivals to world-class arts and sports events. Please visit the website of Hong Kong Tourism Board for details.

Ocean Park Hong Kong is located on the southern part of Hong Kong Island and is one of Hong Kong's favourite attractions.
Fun fact: Its outdoor escalator is the second longest in the world.
Getting there: You may travel directly to the Park using MTR South Island Line (East).
Tickets: Available at the park’s main entrance.

Want to know more about Ocean Park? Check here.


If you like visiting geoparks, Hong Kong  provides many choices, such as:

Tung Ping Chau

High Island

For more information, please see here.

4、Hong Kong Traditional Cultural Celebrations

Hong Kong traditional cultural celebrations including birthday of Tin Hau, Cheung Chau Bun Festival, birthday of Lord Buddha and birthday of Tam Kung. For more details, please visit here.

For more attractions in Hong Kong, please visit the website of Hong Kong Tourism Board.

5、Travel to Mainland China and Macau

Mainland China and Macau are two popular travel choices for many Hong Kong residents. If you are also interested, please note the following information:

Visa to Mainland China
If you want to travel to mainland China during the time you are studying in Hong Kong, you may need to apply for a China visa. In Hong Kong, you can apply for a China visa at the China Travel Services (CTS). For details please see here.

You can also apply visa to China through The Commissioner’s Office of China’s Foreign Ministry in the Hong Kong SAR.

Visa to Macau
For Macau visa requirements please visit Macau Government Tourist Office.

Major local travel agency:
China Travel Service (H.K.) Limited
Morning Star

Cantonese is a dialect of Chinese commonly spoken by over 88% of the people in Hong Kong, and also widely spoken in Guangdong Province. Over the past a century and a half of British colonial administration, Hong Kong Cantonese has absorbed lots of foreign vocabularies and developed a Hong Kong-specific language system, which has many loanwords from English but greatly differs from Mandarin/Putonghua in Mainland China. Let’s see the features of Hong Kong Cantonese by the trilingual table as follows:


Hong Kong Cantonese


Bus 巴士 公交车
Taxi 的士 出租车;计程车
Store 士多 商店
Policeman; teacher 阿sir(男老师与警察); 咪糸(英文Ms谐音,指女老师) 警察、老师
Parking car 泊車 停车
Bill / Check 埋單 结账
Small change 散紙 零钱
Windy day 打風 刮风
Rainy day 落雨 下雨
Wallet 荷包 钱包
See a doctor 睇醫生 看医生,看病
Catch a cold 冷親 着凉
Diarrhea 肚屙 拉肚子
Plug 拖板 (活动)插座
Fridge 雪櫃 冰箱

Want to know more about Hong Kong Cantonese, please see below websites:

We encourage you to learn Cantonese for a better understanding of life and culture in Hong Kong. You may search the related learning resources from the Language Center in the campus you study.

Want to lean Cantonese immediately? See “Cantonese - You Must Know!”